We’re always looking to expand this listing – let us know if you have anyone or any group to add.
- Trans Masculine and Non-Binary Group – weekly virtual hangout via Zoom for weekly support group and a monthly book club at 8pm – email Charley for details.
- Charlottesville Trans Peer Group – monthly meetings and other social events – also a closed FB group – email for details
- Meditation, bowling, support groups: See the local LGBTQ events calendar
- Statewide connections – don’t miss: Annual Transgender Information & Empowerment Summit (TIES) in Richmond, VA
- Transgender Health Alliance of Central Virginia
- Transgender Health Services at the Virginia Department of Health
- Transgender services at UVA Student Health
- UVA Teen & Young Adult Health – Transgender Health Clinic
- Transgender Clinic for adults at UVA Health
- Gender Affirming Hormone Therapy at Planned Parenthood*
*See here to contact PP for clinics that provide this service
- UVA LGBTQ Center
- Point of Pride
- Transgender Assistance Program – Virginia
- Trans People of Color in Charlottesville or email Charley
- Black Transmen Inc. and Black Transwomen Inc.
– BTMI is current accepting applications for their Brother 2 Brother Free Binder Program.
- Black Trans Advocacy is current accepting applications for COVID19 assistance micro-grants and for a binder
- Trans support groups with PFLAG
- Side by Side youth groups
Lisa Gaudet, Notary Public
Name change? LGBTQ-friendly notary offering FREE services to members of the trans community. Email Lisa.
Jessica Tiller, Estate Planning of Charlottesville, PLLC
Call (434) 219-9896 or email Jessica@
Name Change: What You Need to Do
- Circuit Court – Name Change
Hand-deliver the form. There will be a filing fee ($40.00-$50.00). Highly unlikely that there will be hearing – they’ll mail copy of certified order. You can request additional copies. (Enclose a cover letter with the check and instructions for additional copies.)
- Social Security Dept – Gender Marker and Name Change
Requires a certified form, actual form for social security, and a letter from a doctor. Bring current, non-expired ID, too.
- DMV – License Change
- Send DMV form DL17 to the DMV.
- Bring certified name-change form.
- Bring new card with new name from Social Security.
- Passport Application
Call ahead to an authorized place, such as a post office. Bring a certified name-change form, letter from physician, and proof of ID. Medical doctor or NP needs letter.
- Birth Certificate
Visit the Witman Walker Clinic in DC.
Also see the full list of LGBTQ resources for:
- Gender-neutral bathroom listing
- Healthcare provider list
- Places of worship
In the local news: