Transgender Resources

Spread the love

We’re always looking to expand this listing – let us know if you have anyone or any group to add.



*See here to contact PP for clinics that provide this service



Lisa Gaudet, Notary Public

Name change? LGBTQ-friendly notary offering FREE services to members of the trans community. Email Lisa.

Jessica Tiller, Estate Planning of Charlottesville, PLLC

Call (434) 219-9896 or email

Name Change: What You Need to Do

  1. Circuit Court – Name Change

Hand-deliver the form. There will be a filing fee ($40.00-$50.00). Highly unlikely that there will be hearing – they’ll mail copy of certified order. You can request additional copies. (Enclose a cover letter with the check and instructions for additional copies.)

  1. Social Security Dept – Gender Marker and Name Change

Requires a certified form, actual form for social security, and a letter from a doctor. Bring current, non-expired ID,  too.

  1. DMV – License Change
  • Send DMV form DL17 to the DMV.
  • Bring certified name-change form.
  • Bring new card with new name from Social Security.
  1. Passport Application

Call ahead to an authorized place, such as a post office. Bring a certified name-change form, letter from physician, and proof of ID. Medical doctor or NP needs letter.

  1. Birth Certificate

Visit the Witman Walker Clinic in DC.

Also see the full list of LGBTQ resources for:

  • Gender-neutral bathroom listing
  • Healthcare provider list
  • Places of worship

In the local news: